Silver dollar Fish In The Home Aquarium

Did you know that vegetarian piranhas live in our world? It turns out that the most bloodthirsty fish can be safe for humans and even bring him good luck!

Metinis ordinary (silver, Schreimuller, dollar fish, lat. Metynnis argentus) is a herbivorous fish of the Kharacin family. Lives in the waters of the Amazon. Unlike piranha (closest relative), it is a peaceful and slightly shy creature. He prefers secluded thickets, eats algae, although he does not refuse protein food. They have small teeth.

The Metinis fish breed are schooling inhabitants of reservoirs, but they perfectly adapt to the conditions of the aquarium. In the wild, their length reaches 15 centimeters; in captivity, they are slightly smaller. They do not offend their neighbors in the aquarium and are not afraid of larger fish. Due to the ideally rounded body, reminiscent of a silver coin, they got the name “thaler fish”, “mirror fish”. They are absolutely unpretentious in their content, therefore they will delight the eyes of households, office workers, and visitors to trading floors.

Appearance and content

metinis fish

The body of silver dollar fish is diamond-shaped, pressed from the sides. The dorsal fin is sickle-shaped; the caudal fin is weak. It has transparent fins, males have black tail fin, anal fin veil. In females, the anal fin is straight and red. The scales are very small, tightly adjacent to each other, flickering in the light with a bluish-greenish tint. During the spawning period, the body of the male takes on a reddish-golden color. The fish’s eyes are also silvery, with a black pupil.

It is best to buy several silver dollar fish at once, since these are schooling fish that do not like solitude. They are very active and can live in captivity for over ten years.

Comfortable keeping – 2-8 fish in one aquarium. However, be careful with the animals that these fish can feed on (metinis can chase small fish and crustaceans). Do not mix them with guppies, neons, frogs, crayfish and shrimp.

Is the Metinis breed whimsical in keeping, is it difficult to keep them? Easy if you are an experienced aquarist. If you are a beginner, start with 2-4 fish. 1 individual requires from 80 to 100 liters of aquarium water. Since these fish are very active, it is advisable to keep the aquarium closed (especially at night) so that they do not accidentally jump out.

Filtration and aeration

Filtration and aeration of the aquarium should be of high power, it is desirable to create a small flow using the pressure of the filter. 20% (1/5 part) of water should be changed weekly. Metinis feel great at a water temperature of 23-27 oC, pH 5-7. An aquarium for fish is decorated with dark soil, stones, driftwood , synthetic plants or greenery with harsh leaves. Avoid plants that are rich in calcium and magnesium. Many plants eat metinis, so you need to be careful with them.

Nutrition and reproduction

About 70-80% of Metinis food is of vegetable origin (spinach leaves, lettuce, Brussels sprouts, dried nettles, scalded oatmeal, dandelions, zucchini, etc.). The remaining 20% ​​of the diet is special food (containing spirulina) for fish or live food . Before feeding, food (plants) should be doused with boiling water.

Having reached the year, the Metinis are ready to breed. A separate aquarium of 200 liters with soft and slightly acidic water (hardness 4o , pH 6.4-7) is suitable for spawning . The temperature is about 28-29 oC.

It is recommended to specially prepare the parents before spawning. They are seated in different aquariums with small-leaved plant food (two weeks before spawning). After transfer to a spawning aquarium, its lighting is gradually increased.

The female lays 300-1000 transparent, non-sticky, yellowish eggs, which fall to the bottom of the aquarium or settle on plants. After four days, larvae appear, which begin to feed in 4-8 days on small plankton, crushed lettuce, artificial food. Young animals are fed several times a day. By 6 months they become adult fish.

After throwing eggs, adult metinis do not show interest in eggs, so they can be placed in a shared aquarium. And for a reason they were nicknamed “dollar fish”. They will bring joy and prosperity to their owner, while being absolutely unpretentious and friendly. This is a real treasure that is available to everyone.

 

 

Leave a Comment