One of the most common problems faced by aquarists of all skill levels is the mortality of their fish. Most people who have tried keeping aquarium fish have given up because it is so frustrating.
What is White Spot Disease?
Fish with white spot are infected with a contagious parasite illness. Toxic to fish is caused by Ichyophthirius multifilis, which mutates and infects them when they swim up out of the water. It feeds on the cells and bodily fluids of the fish after attaching itself to it. It moves out of the fish later in its life cycle and attaches itself to pond debris, where it divides itself hundreds of times repeatedly. The process repeats itself with the hatching of the eggs.
Fish tissue is damaged by the parasite, which can lead to bacterial and fungal diseases.
However, it is possible to prevent the death of fish. Fish fatalities are most commonly caused by parasites, both internal and external, that are in competition with the fish in the aquarium.
This parasite can be detected and treated in time to save the lives of your aquarium fish if you keep a close eye on them.
Observe your fish for the following signs of White Spot sickness.
- Perpetually sagging to the floor or dangling from the ceiling.
- Scratching one’s body on rocky surfaces
- At the water’s surface, It gasped.
- There was no response to being fed.
- Laziness and a general lack of enthusiasm
- hovering in a small space in the middle of the room
- fish swimming with its jaws closed
Pinhead-sized patches on the body or fins are the most typical of the obvious indications. The parasite Ichthyophthirius Multifillis is responsible for White Spot illness.
The free-swimming stage of this parasite is where it attaches to the fish. Methylene Blue is the most commonly used disinfectant in the treatment of sick fish. At 0.8-1.0 ml per gallon of water, you can buy a one percent stock solution from an aquarium shop and apply it. It’s best to add it all up at once. After a few days, repeat the process.
The fishes must remain in this bath until all of the spots have been cleaned up. After treatment, the water must be changed immediately to prevent the fish from being exposed to the chemical for an extended period of time, which could harm their reproductive health.
If you’re using an activated charcoal side filter, you should take it out to avoid having the coal absorb Methylene Blue.
Another recommendation is to utilize artificial aeration with coarse bubbles near the surface during treatment because a dirty bottom would inactivate the medication by absorption. It is preferable to thoroughly clean the bottom of the tank before treating it.
When used at lower concentrations, Methylene Blue has no effect on plants and is completely safe for juvenile fish.
Another Fish Disease
Despite of White Spot Disease, Aquarium fish commonly facing these several disease
Bacterial Infections in Fish
Bacteria are a common source of concern for fish breeders. Pathogenic bacteria cause a variety of bacterial illnesses in fish. These bacteria can either assault the fish externally or enter the fish’s body through the skin, causing internal organ damage and even death. The most prevalent bacterial attacks in fish are fin rot and bacterial gill disease, which affect the fins and gills, respectively. If the germs manage to enter the body, this is referred to as systemic infection. Bacteria can also create sores and lesions on the fish’s body. Bacterial infections are plainly visible on the fish’s skin as ulcerous markings or red irritations. Bacterial infections are extremely common in koi.
Lice of Fish
Fish lice are scientifically known as argulus, and they are among the largest parasites found in the animal world, measuring roughly a centimeter in length. They are particularly harmful to the fish’s health because they may suck out fluids from the fish’s bodies by clamping their proboscis-like mouths into the fish’s bodies.
Because lice are easily visible on the body of the fish, they are easily identified. However, a thorough examination of the fish’s body is required, particularly in the concealed parts behind the fins. When lice are not moving, they can appear as dark blotches. When there are too many lice, the fish become agitated and move around a lot.
Flukes in Seafood
Flukes are parasites that live in fish and are innocuous in small numbers but can be lethal in high ones. Flukes are little, around 2 mm long, and nearly unnoticeable to the naked eye. However, these flukes feature hooks that allow them to cling to the bodies of the fish. Flukes can suck away the fish’s body fluids and possibly kill them. The substantial hazard posed by flukes is that one fluke only requires one fish to complete its lifecycle, therefore there is more motive for the fluke to remain clamped to the fish. Flukes are thought to be the most difficult of the fish parasites to treat, yet treatments with malachite and formalin frequently provide beneficial outcomes in higher dosages.
A parasite found on the bodies of fish known as ich, ichthyobodo, or costia is a fairly frequent parasite found on the bodies of fish. Several fish can live with this parasite while presenting no symptoms. In reality, ich is safe in modest doses. The fish’s defenses can keep the number of ich under control. When fish are afflicted with another disease, their defenses are compromised, and ich begins to multiply. Ich can multiply at a breakneck pace. The fish will quickly develop a huge amount of ich on its body, its breathing will become difficult, and it will retreat and isolate itself from the other fish. When this stage occurs, ich is often lethal to the fish.